My Most Recent QSO's

Sunday, May 25, 2014

Cuban Five Letter Stations


Are there new changes in ham radio from Cuba now? I was under the impression their operators were limited to 10 watts of power and a simple wire antenna. To my surprise when I worked CO8RRM on 40 meters a few evenings ago, he said his power was 50 watts. He sounded great all along the east coast with his vertical dipole antenna.

Perhaps the extra letter in the call-sign is a designation for higher power and extra privileges? This is my first contact with a Cuban station with five letters......

License requirements in Cuba today resemble the challenges of early ham radio in the United States. My congratulations to Rafael from Baracoa, GITMO for his accomplishment and the great signal into West Virginia. Keep up the great work and I'll be listening for more of those five letter call-signs.

2 comments:

Paul Stam PAØK said...

Hi John, I worked CO8LY Eduardo twice in 2010. And I worked more 5 letter calls from Cuba. ;-) 73 Paul

Jspiker said...

Hello Paul,

Cuba is a very short distance from here. From the Netherlands it is a good catch at your location. You did a good job.

Glad to hear there's more of the five letter stations on the air now. BTW/ I love your video's. Your new camera is working very well!